Planning Your Golf Trip Tips
Golf Ireland – Before you go:
- To ensure successful and enjoyable Ireland golf vacations, it is advisable to book well in advance. It is not unusual for visiting golfers to book 12 months in advance.
- The main Irish golf season runs from April to October but golf in Ireland can be played all year round, weather and course conditions permitting. September is the busiest month and July is the quietest month for Ireland golf vacations.
- Always plan and book golf tee times before finalising accommodation and transportation reservations.
- When planning your golf vacations in Ireland use our map and driving time grid in our Tour Planner section, as driving time is more important than distance in Ireland.
- There are more tee times available on the weekdays than the weekends.
- Plan for realistic numbers when seeking suitable tee times. If hiring a vehicle, always ensure it is large enough to carry golf clubs and luggage. Our recommendation is a larger car or a people carrier for 4 golfers.
- A chauffeur driven coach is a good option for groups of 8 or more. Your chauffeur will coordinate your travel plans and daily activities, ensuring comfort and relaxation during your stay.
- Do request caddies in advance. Most senior caddies will carry two bags (double). It is advisable to take a least one caddy per fourball.
- While Ireland’s summer climate is temperate and pleasant, it is advisable to bring wet gear and also pack a few sweaters for the evenings.
- Always take out travel insurance.
- For advice on any of the above contact your tour operator or contact SWING.
When to go
Things to consider when planning your trip
- How many golfers in the party (non-golfers may also be travelling)?
- How long can we stay i.e. nights/days?
- How many rounds of golf do we want to play?
- Do we want to play on the day of arrival & departure, flight time permitting?
- Do we have any specific requirements such as electric carts (buggies), caddies, club hire etc?
- Do we want to stay in a specific location or are we willing to move around based on the courses we want to play?
- Do we want self-drive or hire a chauffeur driven coach?
Contact SWING to see if the itinerary is feasible or for any other advice. Remember the secret to a successful golf trip is proper planning.